Key Question: What is the Purpose of my classroom?
Answer: Keep everything On Purpose − get rid of what isn’t.
Remember: Decluttering Makes Classrooms Healthier, Easier to Teach In and Clean
Sources of Clutter
- Items from home
- Objects from other classes, teachers, students
- Unneeded supplies (markers, pens, pencils, glue sticks, etc.)
- Hoarding or stockpiling (just-in-case)
- Extra or old, off-topic books
- Unused or partial board games (missing pieces)
- Stuffed animals, pillows
- Has it been used in the last year?
- Does it inspire or help teach?
- Is it required?
- Is it bulky?
- Does it collect dust?
- Can I find it online?
- Can I borrow one?
- Who needs it more than me?
10 Minute Decluttering Secret
Get three large plastic tubs and label them:
1. “Put Away”
2. “Give Away or Sell”
3. “Throw Away”
Take 3 minutes to fill each one in sequence.
- Ask the custodian to empty the “Throw Away” tub.
- Take the “Give Away” tub to a local charity; post Sellable items on Craigslist.
- Work through the “Put Away” tub during class breaks.