Education / Affiliations
BS, Liberal Arts, State University of New York
M.A., Communications and Human Relations, University of Northern Colorado
R.E.H. (Registered Executive Housekeeper)
- Director of Facilities at Earlham College in Richmond, IN. With operational budgets in excess of $10 million Bigger is familiar with the nuts and bolts of facilities operations.
- Director of Building Services, University of Notre Dame 16+ years
- University of Missouri, 4 years
- South Texas Hospital, 4 years
- United States Air Force, 10 years in a variety of positions
Bigger recently retired and is still actively involved with APPA and consults on facilities issues with numerous organizations and companies.
Bigger was the editor-in-chief of APPA’s Operational Guidelines for maintenance, grounds and custodial (2011)
Alan has contributed to two APPA books, Hazardous Materials and Solid Waste Management (1992), and Custodial Staffing Guidelines (1992, 1998, and 2011).
In addition, he helped compile the Frontline Program Training Program (1998) for the International Executive Housekeepers’ Association, Inc.
Bigger, along with his wife Linda, co-authored a book in 2007 titled “Frugalisms: Creative Ideas on Leadership in Facilities and Housekeeping Operations.” The book was published by the International Executive Housekeepers Association (I.E.H.A.).
In 2008 Jeffery Campbell, PhD of Brigham Young University and Bigger co-authored a research paper titled “Cleanliness and Learning in Higher Education” jointly published by ISSA and APPA..
Alan has written nearly 200 articles for the “Frugal Housekeeper” column in Executive Housekeeping Today.
Bigger has also published over 400 articles in trade journals such as:
Executive Housekeeping Today Maintenance Executive FacilitiesManager, Contracting Profits Sanitary Maintenance ISSA Today
Total Quality Maintenance NAILM News Textile Rental
Commercial Floor Care Maintenance Solutions
Cleaning & Maintenance Management College Planning and Management
Bigger has taught classes at the National College of Business (Rapid City, South Dakota), The Ohio State University, and has provided training programs for city, county, state, federal and private agencies. He has taught audio-conference classes for and has been the faculty advisor to the University of Texas Health Sciences Center, Teleconference Network of Texas in San Antonio, Texas; and has served on the faculty of the American Laundry and Linen College that is sponsored by the National Association of Institutional Linen Management.
Speaking Engagements & Interviews
Alan has spoken at innumerable conferences throughout the United States, including regional meetings of MAPPA, APPA as well as at APPA international conferences. Topics have included solid waste management, recycling and custodial staffing.
In addition, he has had published interviews with Sanitary Maintenance, College Planning and Management, Commercial Floor Care, Cleaning & Maintenance Management, Building Services Management and American School and University.
Professional Service & Board Appointments
- President, APPA 2007 – 2008
- Past President, Midwest Association of Higher Education Facilities Officers (MAPPA), a seven-state regional organization affiliated with APPA
- Vice President of Professional Affairs for APPA, 2 terms
- Board Member, Technical Advisory Committee of the International Executive Housekeepers' Association, 2 terms
- APPA Audit Team for major institutions in Washington, DC
He has also been involved with ACUBSS, IEHA and APPA.
Honors & Awards
- APPA’s President’s Award for his role as editor-in-chief of APPA’s staffing trilogy, 2011
- APPA Fellow Award, the highest individual award based upon research, 2009
- MAPPA’s President’s Award, 2004 and again in 2008
- William D. Joyner Special Achievement Award by the International Executive Housekeepers’ Association, 2004
- Cleaning Maintenance and Management Person of the Year, 2004
- President’s Award from the President of the University of Notre Dame, 2002
- Meritorious Service Award (M.S.A) by the Association of Higher Education Facilities Officers (APPA), 2002
Community Service & Volunteer Organizations
Other voluntary involvement include being a deacon at several churches, chairman of deacons and Sunday School teacher, involvement with the local Chamber of Commerce, on the Board of Leadership South Bend/Mishawaka (IN), past president of the Shamrock Club and serving on a funding allocation panel of the St. Joseph County United Way program for 2006, and founding coordinator of From Old2Gold, a project that collected items left behind or donated by students and conducted an annual yard sale that netted over $40,000 per year for charities in the local area.
Bigger, is a native of Dublin, Ireland and has lived in Ireland, England, West Germany, and 8 of the 50 States! He is retired and currently resides in South Bend.